Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Neurosurgeon

This is a picture of the placement of a Lumboperitneal shunt.

After waiting for nearly 2 hours to see the Surgeon today and feeling the room spin I was so glad I waited. The Dr is a lovely guy who took the time to listen to me and to then tell me I really am not crazy when I talk about the "rain" sound I get in my head or when I tell him my eye feels like it is about 10 inches outside of my face.
And after he checked all my Xrays,(Yes all 15 packets of them) and looked in my eyes and tested them he said," So how long have you had this set of symptoms?" and "Why weren't they treated sooner?".
I nearly fell off the chair. I have been looking for a Dr to actually see what was obviously a problem and not tell me I am a neurotic housewife that needs to take anti-depressants and get a life.

And the verdict is that I am going to be treated for Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (the idiopathic word means from no detectable cause) and have a lumbo-peritoneal shunt put in. 3 hours in theatre and then recovery after. After 48 hours if my symptoms are worse he will take it out and do a decompression. Yes what fun. Two surgeries possibly. Oh well as long as I dont lose any more eye sight.

The best news of the day is that I may get some of my vision back again. As we take the pressure off the optic nerve permanently it may function better.YAY!!! I will be able to see clearly.Hopefully.

So when? I can hear you all LOL
If a bed is available I will be in tomorrow night for a Friday procedure and if not then early next week.Yes that fast. It needs to be done now so my eyes can have a chance.
Its a teaching hospital ad so there are loads of upcoming med students that will come and check out my head LOL.It is quite a rare thing to see here so they come and look when they can and that is all good too.

So all good.I will be in hospital 3-5 days depending what I end up with and home after that.Business is closed but I may be able to check email.I may also be able to check FB which will be fun.Or at least post.We'll see if I am up to it all LOL

Ok lovely friends.I think that about sums it up. Any questions? Please ask.

Light and Love to all
Tanya xxxxxx


  1. sounds like things are moving in the right direction, at least! Glad you finally got a doc who listens to YOU, instead of just reading test reports....

  2. It's so frustrating when doctors don't listen! I am so thankful someone took the time with you! God Bless! I will be praying for you! Suzie

  3. Wow, I'm so glad you finally had someone listen and figure out what the problem it is.

  4. So glad you found a good doctor. My mother had the same issue with Lyme Disease symptoms - doctors thought she was crazy for many years.

    Anyway wishing you the quickest of recoveries!

  5. I'm sorry for all you're going through but this MIGHT be what you need to finally be free!

  6. Glad you found a Dr that would listen to you and actually could help. It blows me away everything you've been thru or going You are an amazing person.
    ♥Much love and light♥
    Arien / CC

  7. This is the time when you should be resting, gathering strength and recovering from your LAST big surgery. Instead you get this! So very scary!
    Truly makes you wonder how much one, fragile, little human can bear.
    My utmost admiration to you for handling everything life throws at you so well!! Hopefully this can now be fixed, once and for all.

    My most sincere hope for you is that after this ordeal is over, your biggest problems ever, will be what to have to for dinner, or which colour to wear!!

    My very best to you, today and always. *hugs*